WHI-1038 | Lost Tools of Discipleship

Michael Horton
Letters to a Diminished Church
Dorothy Sayers
Creed or Chaos
Dorothy Sayers

PROGRAM AUDIO

Click here to access the audio file directly

MUSIC SELECTION

David Hlebo

Categories

Comments

• 27 Feb 2011
    Jim Kray says:

Spot on! I have seen in my ripe age of 62 years that basic reading levels have declined as the “information age” as increased. We have tons of data and ounces of logic and spiritual discernment. So, some of the modern translations are geared to 7th grade reading levels (or much lower) because the culture has become functionally illiterate. Everything has become emotional–love is what you “feel” and truth has become what makes you “feel good”. The decade of the 60’s has come home to roost in the church. We must go back to basics. Let us spell out our words instead of “lol”, “rofl”, “ur”, etcetera. Let us spell out our theology too.

• 28 Feb 2011
    Around the Blogs 2/28/2011 | Servants of Grace says:

[…] The Lost Tools of Discipleship: http://www.whitehorseinn.org/blog/2011/02/27/whi-1038-lost-tools-of-discipleship/ […]

• 28 Feb 2011
    Deb Felak says:

Thanks for this great podcast, series, and ministry. All have been incredibly helpful to me. On numerous occasions the topics raised in this week’s podcast have been broached by the guys in the past. Each time, as a Sunday School teacher and leadership team member of Christian Education, I wonder…how is it supposed to look…where can I find examples of such things that I can use or suggest for use? We are a small church (200-300 attending) and we have a weakening Sunday School program both in goals and numbers and a competing AWANA program during the week that saps Sunday School resources in terms of vision, energy, resources and participation. You guys look at the macro view this week(and I am reading and studying to understand that) but I am wondering where I might find the nuts and bolts of the micro view of lost tools of discipleship. Thanks!

• 28 Feb 2011
    Thom Cole says:

Today was the first day I have listened to your program, but the topic could not have been more relevant. Just yesterday I sat in the lobby of my church talking with another attender about how I feel that the church as a whole, and this includes my own church, has bought into the glitzy, “wow” factor of entertainment to get people in the doors. I stated yesterday that it seems that people today do not have a clue why they believe what they claim. That makes me fearful of what the church will look like in 10 years.

One of the statements made in “Lost Tools of Discipleship” that there is no “grammer & logic of the Christian faith.” I sit here almost in tears thinking about how true that is. Please, would you recommend some resources so that I can implement more “grammer & logic” in my own life and in the lives of those around me?

• 02 Mar 2011
      Michael Horton says:

Thanks for your frank comments and concern. Happily, ours is not the first era to face this sort of challenge. That’s why the Reformation revived the early church practice of “catechism”: that is, teaching the grammar of the faith through basic questions and answers. Luther’s Small Catechism, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Westminster Shorter Catechism are the major examples and they are still great for this crucial task today. So I’d start there. They also support their answers with biblical references, so that’s a good way to dig into Scripture on those big issues.

• 09 Mar 2011
    Robert Campbell says:

Thank you for the podcast, for connecting discipleship with Sayers and the classic Trivium. Please, I am part of a free church tradition and have never seen a catechism in practice. How would actually use it at church? Say, at Sunday School? We already encourage the church to use it at home.

• 13 Mar 2011
    Brian Steward says:

Good program. The What is Discipleship Anyway?
    by Michael Horton and Dewey’s Copernican Revolution by
    Shane Rosenthal are pointing to some other article. Could you correct them? Thanks, BLS

• 18 Mar 2011
      Eric Landry says:

Thanks for the heads up. It’s fixed.