The Jews call the 10 Commandments the 10 Words. The 10 Words reflect the future tense. You shall not. You SHALL not. If we put the right emphasis on the words, we see the 10 Words which God wrote on stone to Moses were also predictions of how Jesus would act.
That is why Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law. One fulfills a prediction, one keeps a Law. And although Jesus kept the Laws, He also fulfilled them. When God wrote the 10 Words, the people were at the base of Mount Sinai worshiping a golden calf. Despite that, God wrote a description of Jesus, the child of Abraham. He said of Jesus:
- You shall have no other Gods – and Jesus didn’t. He insisted that He and the Father were one.
- And you shall not make any graven images – Jesus didn’t need to. He was the image of the invisible Creator.
- You shall remember the Sabbath Day – Jesus was dead over the Sabbath and didn’t move a muscle. His heart didn’t beat. He did no work. He didn’t decay for the Father would not allow Him to see corruption.
- You shall honor your Father and Mother – He honored them both by dying for the Father and taking care of His mother, even while on the cross.
- You shall not murder – Instead, He gave His life a ransom for many to stop the murderer Satan.
- You shall not commit adultery – Instead He created a Bride from the blood and water from His side.
- You shall not steal – He had no place to lay His head and constantly gave all He had to those lost and wandering.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor – No, He told the truth, but His neighbors all managed to bear false witness against Him.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s house – He owned the whole creation, yet did not covet it. He loved it and was willing to die to set it free. He did not want it as His own; he wanted it free to want Him and Him alone.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife – He didn’t need a neighbor’s wife. He created a new wife for Himself from the blood and water from his side. The whole creation was to be the Bride of Christ with which He would and did become one flesh through the miracle of becoming flesh and the marvel of Theosis…
Jul.05, 2011 by in General