Who are we?
White Horse Inn (www.whitehorseinn.org) is a multimedia catalyst for reformation. We believe that each generation must rediscover and apply the gospel to their own time. We long to see a second reformation take hold of our churches and return them to the God-honoring, Christ-centered, Spirit-wrought places of worship they should be. Over the past twenty years, we've grown more hopeful that such a reformation is possible. So, we're putting our time and resources to work toward one. Our mission is to help Christians "know what they believe and why they believe it" through conversational theology. The conversations take place in talk show, magazine, event, book, blog and social media formats. Our vision is to see a modern reformation in our churches through a rediscovery of God, the gospel, and the classic Christian confessions proclaimed during the sixteenth-century Reformation. More than just a talk show and a magazine, White Horse Inn is a conversation for reformation. C. S. Lewis famously remarked that "mere Christianity" is like a hallway. In this hallway, real conversations between Christians of different convictions can begin and develop over time as we emerge from these various rooms to speak of Christ and his gospel to one another. For twenty years, White Horse Inn has hosted this conversation both on the radio (White Horse Inn) and in print (Modern Reformation) in the spirit of that great hallway of "mere Christianity," bringing the rich resources of the Reformation to bear on American evangelicalism.
Our Six Core Beliefs:
- The five "solas" of the Reformation are more than slogans to be recovered; they are the messages that will renew the church's mission in our age.
- Gospel-centered preaching that rightly distinguishes between law and gospel rescues the church from "Christless Christianity" while enabling Christians to grow in grace.
- Word and Sacrament ministry realigns the church's mission and identity from program-driven pragmatism to the means of grace that Christ has ordained for the creation, sustenance, and expansion of his kingdom.
- A properly missional mindset will identify the church as distinct from but engaged with the world, encouraging individual Christians to pursue their God-honoring vocations.
- In order to know what they believe and why they believe it, Christians need to be well catechized and grounded in the central doctrines of the faith.
- Withstanding the onslaught of heresy and persecution requires a confessing church grounded in the witness of the ages and animated by deeds of loving service and witness.
Where did we come from?
In the late 1980s, Michael Horton (host of White Horse Inn and editor in chief of Modern Reformation) began an organization called Christians United for Reformation (CURE). CURE’s purpose was to remind American evangelicals of their biblical roots and the rich faith and practice recovered during the Protestant Reformation that had been largely abandoned in the mad dash to relevance. CURE didn’t represent just one denomination, but tried to include as many different Reformation voices in the conversation as possible. More than a ministry of one man or congregation, CURE drew on the wisdom of many to identify and correct the problems that plagued evangelical and Reformational churches, alike. One of the first efforts to broaden their influence came in 1990 with the launch of the weekly radio broadcast, White Horse Inn, with hosts Michael Horton, Kim Riddlebarger, Rod Rosenbladt, and Ken Jones. [For more on why we chose the name White Horse Inn, click here.] In 1992, the organization began publishing a magazine, Modern Reformation, to apply timeless Christian doctrines to the questions of the day.
Where are we going?
After over twenty years of radio broadcasting and magazine publishing, White Horse Inn is recognized by our friends and critics alike as a voice for reform and renewal. Whatever new technology comes our way is being utilized to recover and spread the central truths of the Reformation. Our vision is to see nothing less than a "modern reformation" take hold in the hearts and lives of Christians here in America and around the world. It is our prayer that God would once again pour out his Spirit, granting the church a modern reformation. For Christ's sake. Amen.
White Horse Inn is home to the White Horse Inn radio broadcast and Modern Reformation magazine.
White Horse Inn
1725 Bear Valley Parkway
Escondido, CA 92027